"No fear!" ~Julia Child

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hooray for Fiber!

Howdy y'all!!!
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, I just got back from my music educator's conference, and had been decidedly deprived of time to cook you anything delicious to read.

The problem/great thing about conference is that it's full of junk food. So all week I ate alot of delicious cheeseburgers, curly fries, and chicken nuggets (one of my guiltiest guilty pleasures). I also consumed some pizza and roughly 60 ounces of coffee, which sadly is no exaggeration.

As a result, the only thing I've wanted to eat the last 24 hours is vegetables. Do you know what makes me eat alot of vegetables? Make your own taco night, that's what. Several years ago my Hunnies started the tradition of essentially eating alot of tacos and making up silly margaritas. What comes along with tacos is my homemade guacamole, which can either be eaten on tacos, or out of the bowl with a spoon like pudding.

Start with three avacodos that are just ripe enough to be almost rotten, but not. Don't worry, you'll eat it all so this won't be a problem. To core them, CAREFULLY, slice them in half, using the pit as a guide. Pull apart the two halves. CAREFULLY hold one half in your hand with your fingers OUT OF THE WAY, hit the pit with the sharp edge of the knife, pull it out. Roll the pit on the counter top to safely release the knife. Spoon out the green fruit. Mush it up violently, and squirt with about two tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, this will keep the avocado from becoming roughly the same shade and consistency as baby feces. Which is not something that you should ever eat on tacos. Dice a quarter of a red onion and 1 tomato finely, and fold in. Season with a teaspoon cracked black pepper, a teaspoon of celery salt, garlic salt to taste, one tablespoon chopped cilantro, and a half teaspoon each chili powder, and CINNAMON. I did this accidentally once, and will never do without it again. It brings out the sweetness in the avocado and the red onion, and helps to balance the saltiness of the rest of the tacos. Sprinkle with red chili flakes, gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment