"No fear!" ~Julia Child

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pot Faux-st (Get it? Har har har)



So I've been really excited lately, because if you haven't noticed, it's finally Fall. I love everything about this seaon. The colors, the smells, the cool weather, the sweaters, but most of all the food :) When I was little, my mom would make this incredible pot roast, it took hours. The whole house would smell like carrots, potatoes, fresh herbs, and sweet, sweet delicious beef.

Now, I am about as impatient as I love all these things, which is alot. A WHOLE lot of impatient. So last night (which was a Monday, this is important because Monday's are awful, which contributes largely to my consistent impatience...), I came up with this abreviated version of Italian pot roast. The great thing about this is you can switch out any of the ingredients for virtually any other version of itself and still have a pretty cohesive pot of comfort food.

First, you start off with about three pounds of any big old cut of beef. I used a chuck roast cut into two slabs. Now listen up because this next part is super important. TOWEL OFF YOUR MEAT. Don't be sassy, of course I'm talking about the roast. My mother told me this, and Julia Child told me this, and I never actually believed it until I tried it, but your meat WILL NOT BE BROWN if you don't dry it off a little. Next, season your meat with salt and pepper and whatever else you want, but it'll all just wash off in the stock anyway. Is it dry? If it isn't, DRY IT OFF! This is your last chance! WHEN YOUR MEAT IS DRY, put it in a deep walled , oiled, pan on medium high heat. Flip it over until all sides are brown, which will happen much more efficiently if you have dried off your meat. Am I getting through? Good. Once it's brown on all sides, remove from the pan and place it in some sort of roasting vessel. I chose a casserole. Now, cut up three HUGE carrots, two onions, and three to fourish large tomatoes. Re-oil your pan (as this is Italian pot roast, olive oil would be best, but grease her up however you like), and place the chopped carrots and onions in to brown. Add three to four cloves chopped garlic (I like to leave them whole as a little surprise later on but some are not as fond of that as me...). Once brown, add in your tomatoes. Sautee until semi mushy. Add a tablespoon each rosemary and basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Now for the fun part. Add about 1 cup of white wine and 1 cup of your choice of stock. I personally was only in position of chicken at the time so that's what I used. Let it reduce slightly. Pour over your browned meat, put a lid on it, and throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for about and hour. This is best served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles, your choice. Matt and I went with potatoes.

Pot roast is Butters very favorite dinner. He gets little tiny bites of it whenever we make it. Sometimes we leave it in different places on the floor so he can hunt it and feel like a real cat.






No comments:

Post a Comment